Tasman United hang on to draw against Southern without a goalkeeper

Wednesday, November 08, 2017
Share on Facebook Print this Article

Defender Daniel Allan pulls off a save after being forced to take the gloves for the final 15 minutes.

Defender Daniel Allan pulls off a save after being forced to take the gloves for the final 15 minutes.

As soon as the ISPS Handa Premiership draw was released, Tasman United's players took a peak at the first three fixtures; Hamilton Wanderers, Canterbury United and Southern United, and thought that seven points ​from a possible nine was a reasonable target to set.

But going into Sunday's match against Southern, with six points already banked from the first two games, that seven-point target soon became nine.

Which is why there was such frustration as they let a third consecutive win slip from their grasp by drawing 2-2 with Southern at Trafalgar Park.

In fact, Tasman were actually lucky to escape with a point after goalkeeper Corey Wilson was red carded for handling the ball outside the box, with Southern's Andrew Ridden hot on attack.

With Tasman coach Davor Tavich exhausting all three of his substitutions, Wilson's dismissal meant that defender Daniel Allan had to take the gloves, just as he did against Auckland City last season.

"He did it last season and he made some bloody good saves to be fair," said Tasman captain Cameron Lindsay, when asked about Allan's efforts in the goal.

Although Allan pulled off two ripper saves in the dying minutes, he was unable to prevent Southern's equaliser, as Ridden poked the ball into the back of the net, after an initial freekick hit the post.

Up until Wilson's moment of madness, which will result in an automatic one-game suspension, Tasman appeared on track for a come-from-behind win in front of their home fans, debutant Kieran Smith giving them the lead in the 58th minute by converting the rebound as goalkeeper Liam Little failed to grasp a low Corey Chettleburgh freekick.

Lindsay admitted, at fulltime, that they were lucky to get a draw, after a "flat" first half performance saw Southern take an early 1-0 lead.

"We were far from our best so a draw was probably a fair result," Lindsay said.

"We started sloppy and probably deserved to be down but to be fair we got through that, came into the half level and we came out and were the better team for the majority of the second half. 

Tasman defender Daniel Allan celebrates after scoring off a pin-point Robbie Pearson corner.

"But when your keeper gets sent off and you're down to 10 men you have to reassess and play on the counter."

Danny Furlong had earlier beaten Wilson from the penalty spot after lively winger Omar Guardiola had been fouled by Allan in the box to give Southern a 1-0 lead after just 10 minutes. But Allan made up for his error, levelling the score at 1-1 before halftime by connecting with a pin-point Robbie Pearson corner.

Lindsay said Tasman will have to regroup ahead of their next match, away to defending champions Team Wellington. With Wilson suspended, back-up goalkeeper Alex Britton is in line to make an earlier than expected debut. 

Tasman striker Maksym Kowal, right, returned to the starting 11 as one of two changes to the team that beat Canterbury.

Tasman United 2 (Daniel Allan 38', Kieran Smith 58') Southern United 2 (Danny Furlong pen 10', Andrew Ridden 76') 

HT: 1-1

 - Stuff


Mainland Football 2010